Central and Eastern European Survey
Speech Research Laboratory
Kaunas University of Technology
Type of Organisation: public
Number of Employees: Less than 10
Activities developed: Research, Education, Software, Products.
phoneme based speech recognition,neural nets,hidden
Characteristics of SRL KTU
I. Scientific qualification and stuff of SRL KTU
- SRL KTU head dr. Algimantas Rudzionis in the field of
speech processing is active since 1969 ( PhD thesis in speech vocoding in 1972);
- till 1990 he carried out fundamental researches according to
projects of the Academy of Sciences of the former USSR (since 1986 a member of the Speech processing council ); - 1992-94 senior researcher for the IPI (Oregon, USA); - participant of the European Union programs:
COST 232 "Speech Recognition over Telephone Line" COST 249 "Continuous Speech Recognition over the Telephone" COST 250 "Speaker Recognition in Telephony". - currently SRL stuff consists of 4 persons: 2 researches and
II. Previous activities of SRL KTU
We consider that our outstanding achievements are as follows: - time resolution effect on phoneme perception accuracy (we observed strong dependences on vowel context);
- speaker independent phoneme classifying (training, dichotomy-based classifier, coarticulation evaluation) - very close coincidence was achieved between the results of perception and classification;
- speaker dependent phoneme-like isolated word recognition ( projection method was proposed for evaluating of every phonetical event in separate way);
- fully phonetical speaker dependent recognition of 200 isolated words (less than 1% error for 200 words recognition by 32 bit/word reference).
IBM PC computers , CD ROM player, device for telephone speech input,
SoundBlaster and VoiceMaster sound cards.
Proramming language C/C++. Operating systems MS-DOS and Windows.