Where and how to find us
Where and how to find the CLARIN and ELSNET Office at Trans 10 in Utrecht
Includes directions for NH Centre Utrecht Hotel (which used to be
Tulip Inn, or Hotel des Pays Bas) and for Apollo Hotel City Centre
(formerly Best Western Hotel Amrath or Hotel Smits); for Hotel Mitland please check the directions on
We are part of the Utrecht institute of Linguistics UiL OTS. Here is a map.
UiL OTS has two locations. The old main location can be found at
Janskerkhof 13/13A, indicated on the map by a solid red rectangle
marked 13A (in white). ELSNET and CLARIN are now (again) located at Trans 10, and that
is where the red circle is, marked 14. The dotted line tells you
how to walk to Trans 10
As you can see there are shorter routes,
but this is
described below. The red squares indicate the hotels: BW = Apollo
City Centre, NH = NH Centre Utrecht.
Fly to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport or to Rotterdam Airport. Our national
airline KLM has the best connections, but they tend to offer
(uncomfortable seats, extremely little leg room, poor service on board)
for a lot of money. Cheaper carriers may offer the same (or sometimes
better), but at a lower price, so it is worth checking for cheaper
alternatives (check this timetable
for all direct flights to and from Amsterdam, and this site
Don't even try. If you manage to get there at all, the nearest place
you can park your car is probably the place where you left. We have no
parking facilities, not for ourselves, and not for our guests. You
to park in a parking garage near the Central Station or in the outskirts of the city and take a bus to the Central
Station from there. There is a P+R site called Transferium, south of the city,
the A12 (Arnhem - Utrecht - Den Haag/Rotterdam). Please note that our
faculty is located in the inner city, and not in the University Center
Uithof', where you will find most other faculties.
Utrecht has excellent train connections with the rest of the
(Utrecht-Amsterdam is only 30 minutes, with intercity trains every 15
minutes). On most connections the minimal frequency is every 30
There are direct train connections to Germany (and beyond). If you
from Belgium or France, you will normally have to change at Rotterdam
(from there it is ca 40 minutes to Utrecht CS).
From Schiphol Airport to Utrecht
A taxi from Schiphol Airport to Utrecht can easily cost you over 100
we suggest that you take the train, which is both cheaper and faster.
the Arrival Hall, follow the train signs to the station hall. Buy a
Utrecht (12:40 euro for a first class single ticket, return tickets are
22.90 euro but can
be used on the same day). There are now direct trains from Schiphol to
Utrecht every 30 minutes (in both
directions). Trains normally leave from track 1/2, at *.14 and *.44
throughout the day, on weekdays between 6:14 and 23:44. Between
07:00 and 21:00 (and on Sundays between 12:00 and 21:00) there
are even trains every 15 minutes. Duration 32 minutes.
On your way back the pattern is similar, with direct trains from
Utrecht to Schiphol at *:13 and *:43 (at least between 06:43 and
23:43). Duration 32 minutes. Departure track varies, but 5 or 7 is a good
guess. Try to
take a train from Utrecht that leaves not later than 2.5 hours
before departure of your (European) flight. That will normally give you
miss a train, check in and have a coffee, but remember that Schiphol
Airport has only one security checkpoint for all Schengen gates so you
might be confronted with long queues. We recommend to use
internet check-in if available. If you are flying KLM (or one of
its partners) you can also check in by phone: 0900 649
During the night there are trains in both directions every hour, but
they normally go through Amsterdam Central Station; the duration of the
trip will be 50-60 minutes, and you may have to change trains.
From Rotterdam Airport to Utrecht
Information about transportation between Rotterdam Airport and
Central Station is available on the website
of Rotterdam Airport. From Rotterdam Central Station there are ca 5
trains to Utrecht every hour. Duration 35-45 minutes.
From Utrecht Central Station to the Institute (UiL OTS, Trans 10)
- Get off the train at Utrecht Central Station, take the escalator
or stairs up to the main hall on the 1st floor.
- From the main hall follow the Bus and Taxi signs (direction
'Centrum'/'Clarenburg'/'Vredenburg', do not go to 'Jaarbeurs' because you might end up in the North Sea after 60 km)
- Once you have arrived at the escalators down to the bus platform, decide whether you
want to go
- by taxi -- cost ca 12.50 euro, proceed to 4 (also the best
option if you want to go to Hotel Mitland).
- by bus -- cost ca 2.60 euro if you buy your ticket on the bus, proceed to 5 (also for NH Centre
- walking -- takes 10-15 minutes (a nice walk if you are
travelling light), proceed to 8 (also for the Apollo Hotel, which is only 5
minutes from the station).
- Follow the taxi signs. Once you're in the taxi, tell the driver that you want to go to Trans 10. This is located in the Center of Utrecht, very close to the
Dom Tower. Get off the taxi and proceed to 18.
- Take the escalator (or stairs) down to the city bus platform
('stadsbussen'). It is right below the taxi platform.
- Walk straight ahead, until you see
on your left the stop of line 2 (direction 'Museumlijn' or 'Ringlijn').
Normally the number 2 bus runs in a clockwise direction, but during
periods of road construction works in the inner city the direction may
- Get on the bus, buy a ticket, and get off at the 3rd stop
'Domplein', right in front of the Dom Tower. You can't miss it. Proceed
to 16. (If you are going to Apollo Hotel City Centre,
get off at the first stop, and walk 200 meters up the road; if you are
going to the NH Centre Utrecht Hotel, get off at the 2nd
stop, 'Janskerkhof', and you will see the hotel across the street, on
your left, at the corner).
- Walk past the exits that lead to the bus and taxi platforms
(keeping them on your left), and continue walking through the shopping
area, in the same direction (Centrum/Vredenburg/Clarenburg).
- Maintain the same main direction; there is one place (a wide
square, with in the middle a bronze bar with a knot in it) where you
have to keep the square on your left, and turn slightly to the right.
- At the end you will find an escalator which will take you down
and, after 20 meters, outside.
- You will find yourself in the right hand bottom corner of a large
square (Vredenburg). Walk straight ahead to the right hand top
corner, and turn right there (Steenweg). (If your destination
is the Apollo Hotel, head for the left hand top corner, and
you will walk right in to it.)
- Follow the shopping street (Steenweg). It turns
gradually to the left. Keep following it.
- By now you should see somewhere ahead of you, a tall church tower
(the 'Dom Tower', 110 m). Use this as
your landmark, because that is where our institute is.
- When the main shopping street ends, turn right (another shopping
street, the Choorstraat).
- Take the first street left, which leads you across a bridge over
a canal to the Servetstraat, through (really!) the Dom tower
to a square called Domplein. Then turn right, where you will
see a line 2 bus stop (yellow sign).
- Walk 50 meters in the same direction as the bus, past the church
and the old main University building (both on your left), cross the
street, and take the first street on your left. This is the Trans, where our offices are.
- After 50 meters you will see the entrance of Trans 10
- Enter and follow de signs Trans 4, walk through the inner court, enter the door marked Trans 4, turn left, walk straight ahead until you see a narrow staircase and walk up to the second floor.
- My office (2.39) is on your left.
- If you get lost, don't despair. Just call me:
- extension 6050 if you are calling from one of the University
- 253 6050 (if you have evidence that you are still in Utrecht),
- 030 253 6050 (if you managed to get out of Utrecht again),
- +31 30 253 6050 (from your mobile phone or if you're not sure you are still in the Netherlands).