| Category: ||E-Announce |
| Subject: ||Beth Dissertation Price - Last Call for Submissions |
| From: ||Carlos Areces |
| Email: ||carlos_(on)_science.uva.nl |
| Date received: ||04 Mar 2005 |
| Deadline: ||15 Mar 2005 |
| Start date: ||09 Aug 2005 |
E. W. Beth Dissertation Prize: Last Call for Submissions.
Since 2002, FoLLI (the Association of Logic, Language, and Information,
www.folli.org) awards the E. W. Beth Dissertation Prize to outstanding
dissertations in the fields of Logic, Language, and Information. Submissions are
invited for 2005. The prize will be awarded to the best dissertation which
resulted in a Ph.D. in the year 2004. The dissertations will be judged on the
impact they made in their respective fields, breadth and originality of the work,
and also on the interdisciplinarity of the work. Ideally the winning dissertation
will be of interest to researchers in all three fields.
Who qualifies: Those who were awarded a Ph.D. degree in the areas of Logic,
Language, or Information between January 1st, 2004 and December 31st, 2004. There
is no restriction on the nationality of the candidate or the university where the
Ph.D. was granted. However, after a careful consideration, FoLLI has decided to
accept only dissertations written in English.
Prize: The prize consists of
· a certificate
· an invitation to present the thesis during ESSLLI 05
· a donation of 2500 euros provided by the E. W. Beth Foundation.
· fee waive for ESSLLI 05 attendance
· the possibility to publish the thesis (or a revised version of it) in the
new series of books in Logic, Language and Information to be published by
Springer-Verlag as part of LNCS or LNCS/LNAI. (Further information on this
series will be posted on the FoLLI site soon.)
How to submit: We only accept electronic submissions. The following documents are
1. the thesis in pdf or ps format (doc/rtf not accepted);
2. a ten page abstract of the dissertation in ascii or pdf format;
3. a letter of nomination from the thesis supervisor. Self-nominations are not
admitted: each nomination must be sponsored by the thesis supervisor. The
letter of nomination should concisely describe the scope and significance
of the dissertation and state when the degree was officially awarded;
4. two additional letters of support, including at least one letter from a
referee not affiliated with the academic institution that awarded the Ph.D.
All documents must be submitted electronically to beth_award_(on)_dimi.uniud.it . Hard
copy submissions are not admitted.
If you experience any problems with the email submission or do not receive a
notification from us within three working days, please write to
policriti_(on)_dimi.uniud.it or folli_(on)_inf.unibz.it
* Important dates:
Deadline for Submissions: March 15, 2005.
Notification of Decision: June 30, 2005.
The prize will be officially assigned to the winner at ESSLLI'05
(http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/esslli05/), the 17th European Summer School in Logic,
Language, and Information, to be held in Edinburgh, Scotland, August 9-19, 2005.
Prize winner will be expected to attend the ceremony and to give a presentation of
her/his Ph.D. dissertation at ESSLLI?05.
· Anne Abeillé (Université Paris 7)
· Johan van Benthem (University of Amsterdam)
· Veronica Dahl (Simon Fraser University)
· Nissim Francez (The Technion, Haifa)
· Valentin Goranko (University of Johannesburg)
· Alessandro Lenci (University of Pisa)
· Ewa Orlowska (Institute of Telecommunications, Poland)
· Gerald Penn (University of Toronto)
· Alberto Policriti (chair) (Università di Udine)
· Christian Retoré (Université Bordeaux 1 )
· Rob van der Sandt (University of Nijmegen)
· Wolfgang Thomas (RWTH Aachen)
Elsnet-list mailing list