Description: Medical applications of voice recongition technology.
Dr Steve Walsh
21 Darley Mead Court
Tel (H): +44 (0121) 711-1083
Cell: +44 07818 405786
Master of Medicine and Surgery
Univ. of Pretoria
Master of Internal Medicine
Univ. of Stellenbosch
Diploma in Datametrics - Cum Laude
Univ. of South Africa
Master of Science in Health Informatics
Univ. College London
· Consultant Physician / Internist
· Medical informatician
· Training and development
· Reports and technical writing
· Multimedia instructional design
· End-user software training and support
· Data storage and knowledge management
· Data mining, descriptive and predictive statistics
· Conference, seminar and workshop development
· Networking, hardware installation and troubleshooting
· Programming in Pascal, Visual Basic, VBA, KnowledgePro
· Commercial experience with running my own computer
· Research in medical education, cognition, voice
recognition and web resource design
· Development of databases, web sites, desktop/voice
applications and enterprise solutions
· Internist with 27 years of clinical experience and broad
practical procedural skills
· Extensive involvement in medical informatics for over 20
· Voice recognition - experience with voice macro
interfaces, alternative language vocabulary and voice-based patient
· Appointed Head of Statistics and Medical Data and
developed computer programs to support departmental staffing decisions
· Opened a very successful private practice which grew too
large for one consultant. Developed an electronic patient record
· Implemented the first departmental computer network and
wrote programs for administering student marks.
· Publications including an article in Methods of
Information in Medicine.
Completed an MSc in Health Informatics at UCL. The dissertation was
on the incorporation of speech into the EPR using speech recognition
TeleMed 98 - Attended the Telemedicine conference held in London.
Healthcare Computing 99 - Attended this conference held at Harrogate.
Structured Data Entry - Programmed VBA modules for Word to facilitate
patient data capture.
Elected - Vice-chairman of the South African Medical Informatics
1992 - 1995
Symposium - Attended the International Symposium on Medical
Informatics and Education held in Victoria, Canada and delivered a
Representative - Nominated as the South African representative for
IMIA Working Group 1 (the field of computers and medical education).
Summer School - Attended the Summer School on Computers in Medical
Research, held in Cape Town.
Symposium - Attended the Symposium on Information Systems in Health
Care, held at Onderstepoort. (Also delivered a paper.)
Vice-chairman - Elected vice-chairman of the Western Cape Regional
Group of the South African Medical Informatics Group.
SIG Meeting - Chairman of the Computer Society of South Africa's
Medical Special Interest Group seminar on Distributed Processing held
in Cape Town.
Explodata - Started own computer business. Business is still
flourishing in Cape Town. Networks, software development, intranets,
web site development.
Committee - Served on the Organizing Committee for the Workshop on
Information Systems in Health Care held at Onderstepoort.
Medinfo 86 - Attended the 5th International Congress on Medical
Informatics (MEDINFO 86) held in Washington DC, USA.
Medical Informatics Congress - Member of the Organizing Committee
responsible for the academic standard of the papers delivered at the
Medical Informatics Congress held in Cape Town.
Departmental Network - Implemented the first academic computer
Programming - Completed a course in Mapper programming on the Sperry
mainframe computer at Tygerberg Hospital.
Computer science - Attended the computer science lectures at the
University of Stellenbosch.
Computer-assisted audio-visual programs - Multimedia tuition material
for medical students on cardiovascular system examination techniques
and jugular pulse waves.
REFERENCES PROVIDED UPON REQUEST